Talis Aspire Advanced MIS
What is Advanced MIS?
Advanced MIS provides access to rich, deep and timely insights into your reading lists and resources, and how they are used.
Advanced MIS contains:
- Application data – these are the facts, for example, this book has this ISBN and is Essential Reading on this list for this module
- Events data – this captures the date, time and nature of user interactions with the system (e.g. student A did X on X date)
Data about reading lists, digitisation requests, reviews, and teaching resources is collected into a data warehouse. How those things are used and who is using them, down to each click, allows you to see detailed analytics. Combining the data into a data warehouse means that you can easily combine Talis Aspire data with data from other systems.
Read a case study from Northumbria University: Digital-first and student success with Talis Aspire at Northumbria University
Who benefits from Advanced MIS and why?
- Empowers the library to make workflows more efficient, inform your collection and acquisition strategies and ensure the library is delivering against key objectives.
- Deepens your understanding of academic and student engagement with library resources and services. You can monitor adoption too, to support your ongoing promotion to academic staff.
- Easily demonstrate the value of the library, particularly when combined with other data sources e.g. Library system, COUNTER stats
- Allows you to be more agile and make informed decisions more quickly based on insights available at your fingertips.
Read this article on Advanced MIS: What our universities do with data in Talis Aspire
- Support your academics by providing them with data that can improve their understanding of their students’ engagement with reading lists and resources.
- Empower academics to make data-driven decisions about course design and delivery
Read this article on How to use analytics from online tools to improve your learning and teaching approach
- More information on learning behaviour and that of the cohort which can lead to learning efficiency, improved outcomes and better grades
- Access to better resources as a result of more timely and efficient content purchasing, providing return on investment in student fees
- Improve student awareness through notifications (e.g. new book added to your list) to increase engagement with the learning process
- Reading Lists and learning resources provide valuable insight into student engagement with the content academics have identified as being key to achieving the learning objectives for the course. This gives:
- A unique insight for learning and learner analytic programmes
- Support for intervention strategies for health and wellbeing
- Enhanced academic and student dashboards to make informed decision
- Combine Talis data with wider institutional data sets (e.g. learning system, student portal, registry, lecture capture) as part of your ‘Big Data’ strategy to uncover behaviour patterns that lead to better student and academic outcomes.
Read this article on Why Universities are choosing Talis Aspire Advanced MIS for deeper analytics reporting
How do I prepare for Advanced MIS?
To get prepared for Advanced MIS, read this article.
Are we able to review the database schema?
Visit https://talis.github.io/advanced-mis/ which has the Schema (to understand the data we’re recording, and how).
What’s involved in setting up Advanced MIS for our institution?
You can find that information here.
Do third party reporting tools work with Advanced MIS?
Yes, you can learn more here.