Welcome to the December edition of the Talis Product and Services Update. A round-up of recent changes in the last update of 2017.
Product Update Summary
We would like to update you on the progress of some of our key product development themes; read the Talis development focus here.
Support Hours Over Christmas and New Year
As we near the festivities of this time of year, we wanted to make you all aware of the Talis support hours over the Christmas and New Year period:
- Monday 18th – Friday 22nd December – Support Team working as usual
- Monday 25th December – Support Team not working
- Tuesday 26th December – Support Team not working
- Wednesday 27th December – Support Team not working
- Thursday 28th December – Support Team not working
- Friday 29th December – Support Team not working
- Monday 1st January – Support Team not working
- Tuesday 2nd January – Support Team working as usual
As ever, Talis Aspire has full 24/7 service monitoring in place, so if for whatever reason there were to be an issue with the Talis Aspire service, the team are in place to respond and resolve this issue as quickly as possible. This monitoring is in place for both Talis Aspire Reading Lists and Talis Aspire Digitised Content.
If the support hours outlined above cause you any concern, please don’t hesitate to let Alison Spencer (email@example.com) know.
If we don’t speak to you before you break for Christmas, we hope you have a lovely holiday. If you would like to arrange a catch-up call with one of the team before then, especially if you are planning any projects that may affect integration with Talis, then please do raise a support request.
List View Refresh
We have enabled 35 universities to access the new list view so that they can review the new functionality and consider their approach to roll out to students. We already have 7 universities from our beta phase that already have the list view refresh live with students at varying levels of rollout. We will be enabling more universities for a staff side review in the new year, you will be contacted when this is available for your tenancy. List view refresh now fully supports LTI Learning Management System section linking. Previously, only full lists could be viewed in the new list view. This is enabling those beta participants who have embraced the LTI technology to now widen their participation with the new list view. Please raise a support case if you are interested in working with us in this beta phase.
We have made some significant improvements to the new list view following early beta feedback. Here is a link to our blog with a short video showcasing the latest changes:
Development has been steadily progressing on list edit functionality and this is a continuation of the list view refresh improvements. As we start to release those features, we will be working with universities that already have new list view access to further enable new list edit features at a time to suit their rollout to academics.
General Data Protection Regulation
Talis are aware of the change in regulations and the implications for the data that we currently store. We have already started the work to become General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) compliant and will be in full compliance by the due date. As with all changes and improvements made in Talis Aspire, we will communicate changes to the software or data via our usual Product Update channels. If anyone has any specific concerns, we ask this is raised as a support case.
Talis Aspire Digitised Content (TADC) – Recap on the recent changes
We have now completed the majority of the changes to Talis Aspire Digitised Content that we set out to achieve this year.
- Request form improvements – These changes have been released incrementally over the past month and include:
- Simplified workflow through the form and removal of tabular structure
- Improved layout of fields dependent on resource type requested
- Removal of the Notes tab that had caused misunderstanding of use
- Clearer validation to enable the requester to correct errors
- Support for digitisation requests with multiple courses
- Needed by date revised use following feedback
All the changes are detailed in this article:
- One list multiple courses – TADC and Talis Aspire Reading Lists (TARL) do now fully support the ability to request a digitisation from a single list attached to multiple courses. Request and reporting areas have been updated to accommodate this extra course data from a single request. The request form has also been changed to accommodate this extra data. Changes in TARL for the Hierarchy and Student numbers have also been introduced to make the completion of the course data on the request form accommodate this improvement. All the changes are detailed in this article: Request digitisations – One list multiple courses
- Editing a live request – We have started to develop the workflows for users to edit live request metadata and course details. We will continue to update as these changes are released incrementally, so you can benefit from each change as it is released. You can already create a copy of a request from the actions menu, this helps to correct errors and replace existing requests. We have also released the ability to edit course details as detailed in ‘Releases of Interest’.
- UK ONLY – A reminder that to “opt-in” to automated reporting to the Copyright Licensing Agency as part of our TPTP agreement, needs to be requested by sending a confirmation email to firstname.lastname@example.org by the 31st January 2018.
Releases of Interest
Stay up-to-date with our releases by regularly visiting our Product Update page, where you can view all release information, including all improvements or fixes released in Talis Aspire. Product Update, is available from the top navigation bar on the Talis Support site. Releases that you may be particularly interested in are:
Talis Aspire Digitised Content (TADC)
- We have introduced an improvement to TADC to allow the updating of course details for all requests for an individual course including Live requests. This will allow the updating of the Course Name, Course Code and Student Numbers. See article Edit course details for further information and screenshots of the changes.
- Also in TADC, we have released the following improvement. There are edge cases in TADC where you may want to override the source of a scan or the format the copy was taken from. You can now do this in TADC at the scan upload point. Making this change will enable you to accurately report the source and format as required for some Reproduction Rights Organisation reports and audit information. See article Overriding Source and format for further information
Our Community Contributions continue to grow. We cover a wide spectrum of topics from time saving top-tips to making the most of Google Analytics. If you have something you wish to share with others then please let us know by raising a support ticket.
Talis Aspire Reading Lists now supports bookmarking from over 260 different sources. You can see the full list of bookmarks that Talis supports in the following article, where can I bookmark from?
This month we have added:
- American Journal of Neuroradiology (AJNR)
If you bookmark from a site and would like to see improvements, or if you’ve noticed that a site has been updated and isn’t bookmarking very well anymore, please raise a support ticket.
If there is anything you would like to learn more about, or you have something you wish to share with others, then please let us know by raising a support ticket. Don’t forget to check our recordings of previously held webinars.
Hear from Northumbria University on inspiring and engaging academics with reading lists.
There are a variety of strategies universities use to engage academics with Talis Aspire Reading Lists (TARL). This includes training sessions, drop-in events and creating support guides to make the process of getting started and maintaining reading lists as easy as possible.
Northumbria University are a well established TARL and Talis Aspire Digitised Content (TADC) user, having implemented both systems over four years ago. In this webinar Hilary Skoyles, Reading List Service Co-ordinator, and Amanda Foster, Content Delivery and Copyright Librarian from Northumbria University, share their experience and tried and tested strategies to increase academic engagement with online reading lists.
Join us on Wednesday 17th January 2018 at 14:00. You can register here for the webinar.
Things to Think About
Would you like to organise a review with the Talis team? This would be focusing on getting the most from Talis Aspire and ensuring Talis Aspire is working as efficiently as possible for your University. Please email Alison Spencer (email@example.com) to organise a call at a time that works for you and your team.
We understand this is a time that APAC Universities will be planning to rollover their reading lists and digitised content requests. If you would like to arrange a call with one of the Talis Services team to support you with rollover, please do raise a support ticket.